Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Happy Fastnacht Day!


Happy Fastnacht Day everyone!



Many of you may not know what Fastnacht Day is, but around here it's a tradition and much-loved holiday.  I live in a small rural town that is mainly populated by the Pennsylvania Dutch (myself included!).  Fastnacht Day is a holiday that always falls on the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday.  You may have heard it called Fat Tuesday or Shrove Tuesday.  Anyway, people took this day to use up all their leftover fat and sugar from the year before because Lent started the next day.  Somehow this evolved into making and eating doughnuts.  The ones in the picture are what I bought and brought into my office today for the holiday. 

Traditionally, the fastnacht dough is made with flour and potatoes, proofed, and then deep-fried in lard.  Definitely not the most healthy thing in the world, but they were trying to use up all the fat and sugar before Lent.  The word 'fastnacht' in German literally means 'to fast' and 'night.'  Thus the meaning is "the night before the fast."

I probably haven't had a doughnut since last Fastnacht Day so I'm definitely going to be eating one (or two...) of these today!  :)  You can only get them once a year, so it's definitely a treat.

This also brings me to the topic of Lent!  Lent officially starts tomorrow and after a long deliberation about what to give up this year, I chose two things.  1. Soda (I still splurge on the occasional diet) and 2. Weighing Myself

Yes, I'm locking away my scale for 40 days!  I'm actually very very nervous!  Although I only publish my weight on Wednesdays here on the blog, I actually weigh myself everyday.  Sometimes twice or three times.  So I've decided to try and give it up for Lent this year.  It's gonna be especially tough since I've finally started to lose weight again!  But it'll also be pretty interesting to see how much weight I lose after 40 days of not weighing in.

In that spirit, I'm going to post my current weight a day early!  This will be my final Weigh-In until after Lent!

Er... Weigh-In Tuesday!
Starting Weight: 225
Last Week's Weight: 192
Current Weight: 191 (-1 pounds)
Total Weight Loss: 34 pounds

Goal Weight: 145
Weight Remaining: 46

Another pound down! :)  I'm especially pleased by this because I haven't been to the gym in about week now.   I came down with a nasty case of bronchitis and have been in bed for the past four days. I'm off to a convention this weekend, too, so there won't be any exercising then either!

No comments:

Post a Comment