Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Picture Dump

Why hello, there!  Sorry for the absence, but I've been busy and also out of town for a wedding, which was very lovely.  Now, of course, I feel a bit behind!  I have a few pictures to share that were originally going to be individual posts, but to catch up I'm going to do one big post :)

(Hot tea, Fiber One cereal, Apricots)

This is a pretty typical breakfast for me, although I usually eat a smaller portion of cereal.  What's pictured is only one measured cup, however I found that to be way too much and ended up throwing some out.  Now I cut back a little.  The tea is a Lipton Yellow, which is a brand that I have only ever found in stores in Japan, but can be easily bought online.  I really loved it, so I brought back a whole bunch with me.  (though I'm starting to run low!!)  The apricots were bought from a local fruit stand, and were marvelous.  

 (Japanese curry over white rice, fried egg and scallions)
This was without a doubt one of my favorite foods in Japan.  Curry may originally be Indian, but Japanese curry tastes very different in my opinion.  It's usually less spicy, and the flavor is different in a way that I really don't know how to describe.  You'll just have to make some and try for yourself :)  I made my curry using only vegetables, and added the egg on top for some protein.  Eggs are eaten on a lot of main dishes in Japan, not just for breakfast, and I find I really prefer it that way.  I'm usually an oatmeal or cereal kinda breakfast girl, so I save my eggs for other purposes.

 (Salad with Sesame Ginger Dressing, Apricots, Udon with Fried Egg)

This is another example of putting egg where you may not expect.  Udon, if you've never tried it, is a rather thick noodle, usually served in a hot soup.  (Other various are yakiudon, which is like a lo-mein, or curry udon, which pours curry sauce over the noodles).  This soup comes from a package, which is pretty fair on calories, but of course loaded with salt.  One day I'd love to learn of a good homemade recipe for it.  

(Salad with Sesame Ginger Dressing, Tuna on top of Whole Wheat Toast, Fiber One Yogurt)

Leaving Japan, this is a pretty normal lunch for me.  And I have to admit, this was quite filling.  It took a little time for me to get used to eating tuna without slathering it with mayo, like my mom always made, but I think I've transitioned well.  

Well, there you have it :)  I think I'm doing pretty well so far, and I hope to keep going and start to really feel great about how I look and feel.  

Oh, and before I forget!  A quote!

Quote #3 "Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections."  Saint Francis de Sales

No comments:

Post a Comment