Saturday, September 1, 2012

Fad Diets

I don't think fad diets work.  Having said this, I will also admit to trying just about all of them.  The appeal is just too great--quick, easy, never feel hungry.  And then they always add in those buzz words--chocolate, cake, mashed potatoes, ice cream!  How could this be bad?  Except it always is.  The answer to weight loss is always going to be the same: Proper Diet and Exercise.  The end. 

My brother has recently started a fad diet.  He mixes up a protein shake for breakfast, one for lunch, and then gets a 'sensible' dinner.  Has he lost weight?  Yes.  But in all honesty it's no greater loss than I achieved in the same amount of time and I got to eat solid food.  Perhaps the most perplexing aspect of the whole situation is that my brother is a chef.  Not only does explicitly know how to make good, nutritious food, he has taught other people how to do it as an instructor. 

I asked him why on earth he was trying this shake diet, and his response was normal, I guess: "I want to lose weight faster."  Don't we all?  Does it suck that it took me fourteen weeks to achieve a 25 pound weight loss?  Yes.  Yes it does.  But that's life.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make my brother change his mind, so the shakes keep getting made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment