Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Lunch 04/27/11

Today while I was working out in the gym, we were made to stop and seek shelter because of a tornado.  I was only in the beginning of my workout, so I was glad when after only 15 minutes or so we were allowed back in.  :)  I got in a really good workout today, although whenever it rains the gym becomes so humid, it's really awful.  Oh well, no pain, no gain, right? 

Here was today's lunch:

(Salad and Corn Muffin, Pasta with Shrimp and Broccoli, Steamed Squash and Zucchini)
If this seems like a lot of food--it was!  But it was famished after working out today.  This was another day when I had to get creative.  My pasta was something I created using two of the lines today.  I took the shrimp from the line serving "Shrimp Po'Boys" which essentially looked like a lot of mayonnaise based dressing on top of shrimp on way too much bread, and added to the macaroni being served at the "Macaroni and Cheese Bar."  Yes, a macaroni and cheese bar.  You could have either neon-orange cheese or alfredo sauce.  I opted for neither of course, and instead placed about a teaspoon of margarine in the plain noodles.  The bar also offered a choice of broccoli and sauteed onions and peppers, as well as various (and in my opinion very greasy looking) ground meats, to add on top.  


One thing that I'd like to point out about this meal is this:

(Corn Muffin close up)

These are the magical corn muffins served at my school.  I believe these are the "low-fat" kind, although I didn't actually check the sign.  Still, they are one of my favorite food items served at my cafeteria.  Unfortunately, they are probably not the healthiest thing in the world, so I limit myself to one.  However, I know many people take at least two, if not three or four.  I actually see many strange food choices in my cafeteria, and I often wonder if students would eat better if the constant supply of pizza, cakes, burgers, and fries were gone.  Just the other day, I witnessed a boy take two cookies and sandwich a brownie between them for his dessert.  Ugh!  

On another note, and I don't think I've mentioned this before, but in my Junior year of college, I studied abroad for 10 months in Tokyo, Japan, and so I was able to note some interesting aspects of Japanese food culture.  So look for a couple entries about Japanese cuisine in the coming days!

No comments:

Post a Comment