Wednesday, April 20, 2011

More Food Updates

Here's what I ate for dinner the other day.  Actually, I ate exactly the same thing for lunch and dinner.  This happens a lot for me when the options that day don't appeal to me.  I'll generally just have soup and salad instead.  Anyway, here's the pic:

(Seafood Gumbo with Rice, Pesto Orzo, Salad)

The seafood gumbo is actually one of my favorite options served at my cafeteria.  It's flavorful, a little spicy, and quite filling.  There's rice underneath the gumbo, even though you can't really see it.  The gumbo itself has sausage, shrimp, tomato, and okra in it.  I confess that I really don't enjoy okra--that slimy texture has just never been something I could get over--so I picked the biggest pieces out.  The pesto orzo is also really good, and I wanted to eat it while it was still offered.  Such options are "special" offerings, and usually come and go fairly quickly.  Wouldn't you know it, there was none today?  The salad was nothing special, just lettuce with shredded carrots and purple cabbage.  Normally, I would put tomato on it as well, and maybe even have some tomato slices on the side, but because the tomato shortage has caused their prices to soar, my cafeteria hasn't been offering them much at all =(

After the meal, I decided to grab something sweet:
(Cupcake?)

To be honest, I picked this up because I had no idea what it was.  There was no sign, but I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be chocolate angel food cake.  At least, it mainly had the texture of angel food cake and because of the brown bits, I imagine it was supposed to be chocolate flavored.  It mainly tasted of air and sugar.  Not worth it.

I'll be out of town starting tomorrow.  I'm going on a mini-vacation to visit a friend for Easter.  I probably won't be posting during that time, but look for some great pics when I get back :)

No comments:

Post a Comment