Friday, July 6, 2012

New Food Friday #1

I'm starting a new weekly event that I'm calling New Food Fridays.  Now that I've entered my eighth week, I'll admit to being a little bored with food, so I've been branching out and either tasting some foods for the first time, or attempting to cook some foods for the first time.

Today's food is: Beets!

I've had beets before, and I've always liked them.  I only ever had canned beets growing up, and the first time I tasted fresh beets truly blew my mind.  They're like eating really tasty dirt.  Or something like that.  Anyway, I'd never actually made them before, but they had them for two bucks at the Farmer's Market, so I thought, let's give it a whirl!

First, here's my beets.

Cool, huh?  Next, I cut off the tops and put them in a pot of water.
I boiled them until I could stab them with a fork easily.  Then I took them out and let them cool in the fridge.  To get the skins off, I placed a beet in the middle of a paper towel and rubbed until it came off. 




Once the skin was gone, I simply sliced them up and put them in my fridge to be eaten whenever I desired.  Which was a lot.  Because I love beets.
I warn those who haven't had fresh beets before, the purplish-red color is very strong.  It will dye other things.  You will see the dye again, so don't be alarmed.  (pause for awkward moment). 

Moving on.  As a random side note, this vegetable always reminds me of the cartoon Doug.  Were
they not the coolest band back then?

No comments:

Post a Comment